As much as I love cooking, I can admit there are some nights I'm too lazy to even make instant noodles. Living in New York City means ordering takeout is quick solution that constantly tempts me. Nights like these I have to remind myself there must be something in my fridge I can whip up faster than scrolling aimlessly through Seamless.
Case in point yesterday evening — I had a great piece of salmon fillet I'd picked up from the market earlier, much more nourishing than ordering a carton of pad Thai noodles. A few vegetables and crushed garlic cloves later, I produced a simple, fail-proof dinner that would be ready in less than 45 minutes. This recipe doesn't require a lot of prep, but it does provide flavor. The dill and mustard combination is classic for salmon, and adding zucchini and potatoes will fill you up like dinner is supposed to.
And even better, only one pan to clean up! Weekday dinners just got so much easier...
one pan salmon roast
serves 1-2, 40 min prep time + 25-30 cook time
1/2 lb fillet of salmon
2 garlic cloves, smashed and sliced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 sea salt
black pepper, to taste
assorted vegetables like asparagus, potatoes, zucchini
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. To make the marinade, mix the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, soy sauce, brown sugar, and salt. Let salmon sit in marinade skin side up for at least 30 mins. (FYI - as the lemon juice cures the salmon, the color of the flesh will lighten).
3. Slice and arrange vegetables in lightly greased casserole dish or sheet pan. Coat lightly with olive oil, then add salt and pepper.
4. When salmon has thoroughly marinated, place skin side down on baking dish or pan. Pour the remainder of marinade over the fish and vegetables, then top with sliced lemon, dill, and smashed garlic.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the flesh flakes easily. If you'd like, place in the broiler for a minute or two for a crispy, browned top. Allow to cool for a moment or two. Serve and enjoy!